Sunday, March 3, 2013

That's What Chey Said: Sex in YA

This seems to be a popular topic among readers and non-readers alike, so I've decided to post my opinion on sex in YA.  I am completely open to it and I always have been.  None of the sex scenes I’ve read have been raunchy or distasteful so far, so I don’t see the problem with a few steamy scenes here and there, especially in YA romance.  In fact, I usually prefer it.  I wouldn't want to read it all the time, but sometimes it's needed.


I feel that very few authors are raw and honest with their readers when it comes to this topic, but I think that sex is one of the most realistic and emotional experiences that the characters can have. 

One thing most people seem to brush off is that when you’re a teenager, sex is a large part of your life.  It’s the hormones and there’s no denying that it’s on your mind half the time.  I know that some parents want to shield their children from it for as long as they can, but if we’re being honest with ourselves, we’re going to realize that nearly half of everyone loses their virginity before the age of 20.  Truthfully, kids see a lot worse on TV than they’re going to read in these books.  

An author that I would recommend is Kody Keplinger.  She writes about sexual tension extremely well and I love her for her sarcastic humor and down-to-earth characters.  Her books are some of the most realistic and honest contemporaries I’ve read that revolve around sex.  If you want a little more, I’d recommend Francesca Lia Block, because her writing is absolutely beautiful, no matter what is happening in her stories.

How do you feel about sex in YA?

10 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you, people are very uncomfortable with the topic of sex, and I don't really mind romantic scenes in the books I read. That's why I really like Kody Keplinger's books, she brings up some very thought provoking questions, not only about sex but also other teenage related insecurities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I just adore Kody's writing. Her 3 books have made it to my favorites list because she's so honest and entertaining. Glad that you agree! :)

      Delete
    2. I still need to read A Midsummer's Nightmare, after hearing that you love it I think I'll try reading it soon.

      Delete
  2. I always want more sex in my YA book but of course I'm in my 20's and I don't have any children. When a couple who has been dating for over a year in a YA book hasn't had sex I feel like it's more unrealistic than if they did. Teenagers have sex; it's what they do. For me if written well, it's welcome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True! I can't speak as a parent because I'm just a little older than a teenager myself, but I do know that I want my kids to be able to accept and discuss these issues freely. It's always good to be educated and feel as though you can relate. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  3. Great post! I definitely don't mind sex being explored in YA books. It's something that happens today no matter what people may say about it and I think putting sex into books is a great way to educate teenagers, even if the book is only of fiction. I too love Kody Keplinger's books. She's definitely a great writer when it comes to the sex topic and other teen issues and such.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. If I had gotten into more books when I was a younger teenager, I would have felt a lot better about the situations I was going through at the time because many characters in my books go through the same things!

      Delete
  4. I have no problem with sex in YA and wish the general public would loosen up a bit. However I do have issues with sexual violence and inappropriate handling of sexual situations in YA. You can't properly discuss sex in YA without addressing sexual assault and/or rape. I don't think that authors should shy away from any of these subjects, I just think they need to bear in mind how the present them. I just finished a book where the main character is sexually assaulted & her friend completely agrees not to tell her parents or police. That kind of action is beyond damaging. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes me so upset when people who are non-readers try and shove their opinions down everyone's throats. When they hear "sex" they think "smut", but that is definitely not the issue in most cases. So what, some authors use a little more description than others, but it's nothing like what most people imagine. Also, I agree with the topic of sexual assault and rape. I understand how writing about either of those would be difficult, but if it's done well, the story can be very moving. One book that I would recommend dealing with the subject of rape is What Happens Next by Colleen Clayton. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. I feel like this is one of those issues where I have an opinion but don't really fall on any "side" of the debate. I think sex should sometimes be portrayed in YA because it's a part of the life of many teenagers. I also don't think it's necessarily "unrealistic", however, to have characters in YA that date a long time and DON'T have sex, because I knew many couples like that in high school. I'd really just like it to be a reflection of the real lives of teenagers; so sometimes, yes, sometimes no. I think for me it depends on the books and the characters and if it fits well into the story.

    ReplyDelete