Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Review: Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins


Title: Hex Hall
Author: Rachel Hawkins
Publisher:  Hyperion Book CH
Age Group: Young Adult
Category: Paranormal
Release date: March 2nd, 2010
Pages:  323 (Hardcover)
Rating: 5 out of 5
Source: Bought



Three years ago, Sophie Mercer discovered that she was a witch. It's gotten her into a few scrapes. Her non-gifted mother has been as supportive as possible, consulting Sophie's estranged father--an elusive European warlock--only when necessary. But when Sophie attracts too much human attention for a prom-night spell gone horribly wrong, it's her dad who decides her punishment: exile to Hex Hall, an isolated reform school for wayward Prodigium, a.k.a. witches, faeries, and shapeshifters.

By the end of her first day among fellow freak-teens, Sophie has quite a scorecard: three powerful enemies who look like supermodels, a futile crush on a gorgeous warlock, a creepy tagalong ghost, and a new roommate who happens to be the most hated person and only vampire student on campus. Worse, Sophie soon learns that a mysterious predator has been attacking students, and her only friend is the number-one suspect.

As a series of blood-curdling mysteries starts to converge, Sophie prepares for the biggest threat of all: an ancient secret society determined to destroy all Prodigium, especially her.

Sophie Mercer is just like any other teenage girl.  The only difference is that she's a teen witch and she's exposed herself to humans too many times to count.  Having to move all across the United States, Sophie's made a handful of mistakes because she's still not exactly sure how to use her powers well.  Being raised by a human has got to be tough and although Sophie's mother has done enough research in order to keep her daughter safe, Sophie lands herself in Hecate- or better known as Hex- Hall, a school that serves to protect and teach young witches, shapeshifters, and faeries.

On her first day of school, Sophie comes to realize that she's very out of place here.  The other students had at least some sort of idea what they were doing.  Sophie couldn't even produce a spell that protected her from a pouncing werewolf.  As if she wasn't enough of an outcast, she was roomed with the only awesome pink-haired, manga-reading vampire on campus.  At least Jenna the vampire became Sophie's friend.  In fact, she was the only real friend she had at Hecate.  After three dark witches called The Trinity tried to get Sophie to join their coven and she denies, the popular girls have it out for her.

With a little help, Sophie enhances her skills with spells, begins crushing on one of her foe's boyfriends, and digs deeper to find out the secrets of her family's past.  I absolutely loved how unpredictable the story was for me.  I just kept getting shocked and even more excited as I read.  It's not every day that I say this, but I really enjoyed how the book ended, even if it had a cliffhanger and left you with unanswered questions.  Sophie was  a really great main character for me.  She was likable and even humorous.

When I first bought this book, I bought it with the idea that I'd get to it one day.  I'm so glad that I chose to read this one when I did.  The reason was because I was a little skeptical.  I haven't read many witch books, therefore I wasn't sure what to expect.  I definitely loved what I got.  Though the book didn't have much romance (what can I say?  I'm a sucker for the stuff), it turns out that I didn't need it.  Not in a book so mysterious and gripping as this.

Thanks for stopping by!  I'm sure you've read this book or at least heard of it.  Tell me your thoughts or leave a link to your review in the comments!

3 comments:

  1. This sounds like the perfect book for this time of year! What a fun/spooky read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was able to meet Rachel & I <3 her so much. She's hilarious! I actually bought the 2nd book in the series (bc they didn't have the hardcover at the festival I was at) and I can't wait to read this book! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amused- It really is! I enjoyed it so much, I put it on my favorites list. :D
    Vivian- That's awesome! I have the second book as well (in ARC form, though) but I've been thinking of buying it in hardcover when I get the money. Especially if I enjoyed it as much as I enjoyed this one. Can't wait for Spell Bound!

    ReplyDelete