Sunday, January 24, 2016

That's What Chey Said: Let's Talk About ARCs

There have been many opinions floating around the blogosphere regarding advance review copies, especially as of late.  I'm not going to lie, I've noticed a big change upon coming back to my blog last year after calling it quits in mid-2013.  While it was always exciting to receive a book you coveted months before it hit the shelves, it seems that there's so much more pressure now.  Not only that, but there also seems to be a stigma that comes with sharing that excitement


No one is going to tell you "I started blogging to get free stuff", but I'm willing to bet that there's a good number of bloggers who have and are very motivated by that.  Is it a bad thing?  Not necessarily.  As long as people are sharing their own opinion and putting work into their blog, who cares if they view it as a reward?  When I began my blog in 2011, I didn't even know what an ARC was, much less how to get one.  I never loved books as much as I do now, but I loved the fact that there was a community that helped me broaden my horizons.  I've picked up dozens, if not hundreds, of books I may have never even looked at twice if I were browsing in a bookstore, all thanks to bloggers who have taken the time to share their thoughts.

Do I blog solely to get review copies from authors or publishers?  No.  Do I view it as a huge perk?  You bet your ass I do!  I'm not afraid to admit it.  

While I didn't start blogging for ARCs, once I learned of a way to get them, I worked harder to increase my readership and get to that point where other people would want to work with my blog.  Five years later, getting book mail still makes my day and I feel lucky to have those connections.  I genuinely enjoy helping promote new titles because I know it could help other readers find a new favorite just as it helped me when I wasn't sure what to read next.  I don't mind being used as a promotional tool, because I'm getting something out of it--gratification.

I've seen a lot of shaming going on recently, and it makes me kind of sad, especially since the book blogging community has always been pretty tight knit.  It's okay to feel ARC envy, but bashing is not.  There are certainly people who abuse the opportunities they are given, but what matters are the ones who want to do good.  Even if I don't find the time to read every review copy I receive, I try to find some way to spread the word.

Let me know what you feel about ARCs and their place in the blogosphere; I'd love to hear your opinion!

3 comments:

  1. Honestly, I like that book bloggers get free ARCs, I think it is fair from publishers to send ARCs since it is a ''free'' promotion that bloggers do, but I don't see the point in recieving too many ARCs if you'll never be able to read them all. Plus, too many ARCs can feel like a burden.
    I've seen some Booktubers getting rid of so many ARCs that they got at BEA and never read them, I was thinking, what was the point of getting them in the first place. They could have leave them for others bloggers who were actually interested in those novels.
    But, I know that sometimes bloggers get ARCs they didn't even request, they just show up at their doorstep so...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that definitely falls under the category of abusing the privileges. I understand that it's probably easy to get overwhelmed by the commotion at conventions and I've heard that sometimes ARCs are just shoved at you, so maybe there are some who are too afraid to speak up, but the people who grab/request books they don't even want/know they have no intention of reading are taking them away from the people who actually would.

      You're right, too many ARCs can be so overwhelming! I know I get to that point sometimes, but then I remember that I began blogging for the enjoyment. I only read the books I think I'll enjoy. It seems that some follow the hype and request books solely because everyone is buzzing about it. While you can find some great books that way, it's not always fun reading a book just because everyone else is.

      Thanks so much for responding! :)

      Delete
  2. ARCs are definitely necessary and I agree that it is a reason for blogging -- not my only reason but I like reading books early and I also like seeing other blogger's early reviews of books I'm considering. I agree that it is not right to bash someone for getting an ARC but it's equally not right to complain about not getting one. It's ok to be excited but you shouldn't disparage others who weren't so fortunate.

    ReplyDelete