Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Review: Mila 2.0 by Debra Driza

Title: Mila 2.0
Author: Debra Driza
Publisher: HarperTeen
Age Group: Young Adult
Category: Science Fiction
Release date: March 12th, 2013
Pages: 480 (Hardcover)
Rating: 4 out of 5
Source: Publisher
Goodreads | Amazon | Author
Mila was never meant to learn the truth about her identity. She was a girl living with her mother in a small Minnesota town. She was supposed to forget her past—that she was built in a secret computer science lab and programmed to do things real people would never do. 

Now she has no choice but to run—from the dangerous operatives who want her terminated because she knows too much and from a mysterious group that wants to capture her alive and unlock her advanced technology. However, what Mila’s becoming is beyond anyone’s imagination, including her own, and it just might save her life.

What would you do if you found out that you weren't real--that the only difference between you and any other machine were the emotions?  Mila lives the life of any other teenage girl.  She has friends, she knows what it feels like to lose someone, and she falls for a boy named Hunter.  Until she finds out the truth, that she was made by the military for use of destruction, she thought that she was just an average human being.  Debra Driza creates an exciting and action-filled story of an android that readers will easily relate to.

The writing is incredible and absolutely perfect for a story like this.  The author knows exactly how to create a more realistic feeling science fiction, and that's what ultimately drew me in and made me want more.  Mila turned into one of my favorite characters because she was strong, emotional, and never gave up.  Being on the run proves to be tough, especially when she learns the truth about all of the false memories and even the fact that her mother was just the scientist that helped create her, but in the end, all of that is what makes her stronger.

The fact that Mila's mother constantly shows her how different she is from a machine is what made her character grow on me.  It's true that Mila was different than any typical android.  She knew how to feel, which made for an interesting main character.  I constantly forgot that she wasn't human, even though she has many human-like qualities.  You don't grow attached to many other characters than Mila, but I can say that I also enjoyed Hunter and Lucas and the fact that they were both willing to do anything they could to help her.

Overall, Mila 2.0 was an interesting and unique story.  Because of the original plot, incredible action scenes, and kickass main character, I know I will be continuing this series.  The characters have a lot more to develop, so that's what I'm most looking forward to!

4 comments:

  1. I've heard almost nothing but great things about this book. The premise is unique, and it sounds like it's really well done. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you enjoyed this one. I've heard some good and some bad things about the book, so I hope I end up loving it . . . it sounds like an amazing story. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm happy that you seem to have loved this one so much! I've had it on my wishlist & I can't wait to dive in. I love how the writing style struck you as so excellent and that the story felt unique & interesting! Awesome review! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm dying to read this one!! It sounds so interesting and amazing! Awesome review.

    ReplyDelete